These testing and experimentation facilities (TEFs) will be specialised large-scale reference sites open to all technology providers across Europe to test and experiment state-of-the art AI-based soft-and hardware solutions and products, including robots, in real-world environments, and at scale. This effort is an important step to bring technology to market and improve a higher uptake of AI in Europe.
These TEFs should provide a common, highly specialised resource to be shared at European level and foster the deployment of trustworthy AI in the following areas: health, agri-food, manufacturing, smart cities and communities. Technology specific TEFs focusing on edge AI are also planned under DEP, but were not part of the workshop series.
In the upcoming work programme 2021-2022 of the Digital Europe Programme, the European Commission will launch calls to create these TEFs.
DG CNECT invited experts and national delegations to a series of five workshops on TEFs for specific sectors. The five workshops were:
Workshop on AI TEFs for Agri-Food on 21 June
- Presentation from Agrotech Valley on TEFs (.pdf)
- Presentation from FBK on TEFs (.pdf)
- Presentation from agROBOfood and WUR on TEFs (.pdf)
- EC Agri-Food TEF Presentation (.pdf)
- Agri-Food AI TEF workshops: Slido results
Workshop on AI TEFs for smart cities and communities on 21 June
- EC Smart Cities and Communities TEF Presentation (.pdf)
- Presentation from ETH Zurich on Digital Twins (.pdf)
- Presentation from Aarhus University on Virtualisation taking place (.pdf)
- Presentation from Forum Virium Helsinki on smart city (.pdf)
- Smart Cities and Communities AI TEF workshops: Slido results (.pdf)
Workshop on AI TEFs for manufacturing on 22 June
- EC Manufacturing TEF Presentation (.pdf)
- Presentation from Robotics and Automation MarketPlace on European Network of Manufacturing TEFs (.pdf)
- Presentation from Przemysłowy Instytut Automatyki i Pomiarów (PIAP) (.pdf)
- Presentation from European Factories of the Future Research Association (EFFRA) (.pdf)
- Presentation from Mälardalen University (.pdf)
- Manufacturing AI TEF workshops: Slido results (.pdf)
Workshop on AI TEFs for healthcare on 24 June
- EC Healthcare TEF Presentation (.pdf)
- Presentation from imec/Ugent on Digital Innovation Hubs for healthcare robotics
- Healthcare AI TEF workshops: Slido results
Workshop on sectorial AI TEFs in general on 25 June
In the workshops, the Commission presented its thinking and ambition for the future TEFs and asked for input from the experts and national delegations on the existing landscape and the needs and structure of the TEFs.