Call for proposals for Works
The second CEF Digital call for the 5G for Smart Communities action is now open until 21 March 2023, with a budget of €50 million. Funding under this action will support projects that exploit new capabilities provided by 5G networks, with the aim of delivering new, efficient and more resilient public services.
Launched under the CEF Digital programme, this second call for proposals is similar to the first call and takes into consideration the outcomes of the latter, as well as feedback received from stakeholders, including the Broadband Competence Offices and participants during consultation webinars (see “Supporting Material” section for more information).
An Information Day was held on 25 October by the implementing agency HaDEA on the calls and how to apply. Visit the event page for more information.
Context - benefits of 5G for smart communities
Access to fast and reliable 5G connectivity has huge potential to help European regions, cities and local communities to transform digitally, modernise specific sectors, such as health and education, and to innovate public services.
The 5G Public-Private Partnership demonstrated through 5G pilots that 5G has a high potential for many sectors.
- The Commission’s Digital Education Action Plan has identified connectivity as a critical component for a high-performing digital education ecosystem, with the possibility of having students take part in classes from remote areas by using virtual and augmented reality.
- Recent studies have shown that healthcare centers need networks with significant bandwidth to process electronic health records, and enable real-time and personalized medical advice and treatment.
- Other use cases, such as emergency health monitoring and care in ambulances or uninterrupted health monitoring and support outside healthcare facilities, could also benefit from the new capabilities brought about by ultra-reliable 5G connectivity.
- In recent times, the COVID-19 crisis has also shown how important it is to have high-speed connectivity for the provision of key public services at a distance.
- 5G for Smart Communities Call 1 Results
- 5G for Smart Communities
- Webinar – 5G for Smart Communities: Shaping the Next CEF Digital Call
- Investments in 5G Connectivity – Futurium Community
- Video: The CEF Digital programme drives 5G Investments
- Connecting Europe Facility – CEF Digital
Event | 15 February 2023
The European Commission (DG Connect) and the European Health and Digital Executive Agency (HaDEA) organise an Info Day on the second CEF Digital call for the 5G for Smart Communities action (open until 21 March).