Following similar calls for proposals in 2020, 2021 and 2022, this Call for Proposals implements the European Parliament Preparatory Action "A European public sphere: a new online media offer for young Europeans". With a total budget of €9 million, it provides an opportunity for news media organisations and non-profit (youth) organisations to launch ambitious, cross-border projects.
The call seeks to bring the EU closer to young people, encourage them to become active citizens and connect them across borders. The objective of this action is to increase the availability of online information, in different languages, around European topics that affect young people across the EU, presented in engaging formats and through multiple viewpoints. Projects should seek to generate engaging discussions and organise youth events. The grant agreements will include a charter of independence to make sure that grantees are editorially-free and operate without any political interference.
Projects should start in summer 2024, with an indicative duration of 14 months. The Commission expects to support up to 4 proposals, with a maximum grant set at €3.2 million. The maximum rate of co-financing is 80% of eligible costs, yet applicants may propose a lower co-funding rate.
- Collaboration between at least five organisations from five EU Member States;
- Creation of daily, thought-provoking content around current affairs, through innovative cross-border editorial processes;
- An outreach plan, to reach as many young Europeans as possible;
- Distribution via own channels, partner websites, blogs and/or social media networks;
- Engaging discussions and youth events.
- The call for proposals, application forms and all relevant documents are available below.
- Questions can be sent to CNECT-NEWSMEDIA@ec.europa.eu until at the latest 22 January 2024. All questions and answers will be published, anonymously, on this page.
- For an overview of other grant opportunities for news media, see updates on this page.
- You can subscribe to receive automatic updates whenever articles related to media are publish on CNECT’s website.
- Overview of news media projects
- Previously funded youth media projects
(If reading in another language, consult the English original for call documents.)