The report summarises the outcomes of the discussions in the domain of Language Technologies, in which the experts identified visions and actions in the following areas:
- Resource, Hardware & edge computing: the experts propose a joint action between High Performance Computing (HPC) and Natural Language Processing (NLP) to encourage the communities to collaborate and to produce hardware systems that natively support NLP.
- Multimodality :this action suggests a shared initiative for collecting, standardizing, developing and using data sets across all languages, styles, dialects, accents and contexts for multimodal interaction (rich in text, image, audio and sensor data).
- Universal Language Understanding: this action aims to create a multimodal (text, speech, vision, sensor data) general-purpose systems which demonstrate general understanding and context-awareness, including user and system intent, belief, goals, emotions and desires.
- Application layer: this action foresees the creation of tools to help with conversational goals in any mode of interaction and every language.
- Environment, Ethics, Equality, Security and Trust: the proposed actions need to respect the transversal values of equality, greenness, explainability, security and privacy and more to build technologies for the people.
- Synergies between Web Accessibility and Language Technologies: the report also highlights points of synergy the experts identified between the two disciplines.