The thematic network on Smart Healthy Age-Friendly Environments (SHAFE) has published a Joint Statement with recommendations to be presented to the European Commission on 12 November.
The Joint Statement 2018 summarises a common position on Smart Healthy Age-Friendly Environments, priorities for policy making and recommendations beyond 2020, aiming at a White Paper in 2019.
Overall, the statement calls upon the European Commission, the European Parliament and EU Member States’ Governments to recognise the central role that smart healthy age-friendly environments play, as they foster health, independent living and well-being.
The recommendations include five calls for action:
- Create a shared European vision on smart healthy age-friendly environments;
- Promote cross-sectoral cooperation;
- Fund the implementation of smart healthy age-friendly environments;
- Invest in research that derives from societal needs and challenges and use knowledge to prediction and prevention;
- Guarantee the empowerment of citizens and the promotion of people-centred policies and measures.
The European Commission (DG SANTE) launched a call for proposals in November 2017 on strategic initiatives for a Joint Statement in 2018. Out of ten proposals SHAFE was the most voted and was confirmed by the European Commission in March 2018.
The SHAFE thematic network is coordinated by Caritas Coimbra and AFEdemy Ltd in close cooperation with partners such as the European Innovation Partnership on Active and Healthy Ageing (EIP-AHA), European Innovation Partnership on Smart Cities and Communities (EIP-SCC), Reference Sites Collaborative Network, European Covenant on Demographic Change, Eurocities, Utrecht University (a former partner of the European Framework for Age-Friendly Housing), European Centre Social Welfare Policy and Research, European Health Telematics Association (EHTEL) and ECHAlliance.
- Read the full Joint Statement on Smart Healthy Age-Friendly Environments, priorities for policy making and recommendations beyond 2020.
Interested? You can also join the SHAFE networking session at ICT2018 on 05/12/2018 (11:30-12:15) in Vienna.