Cannes Film Festival official selection
For the last 30 years, the Creative Europe MEDIA programme has provided support to strengthen Europe’s audiovisual sector. The Cannes Film Festival has acknowledged the quality of European filmmaking by awarding its most prestigious prizes and, since 1991, more than 40 films co-financed by MEDIA have been awarded with the festival's top prizes: the Palme d'Or, the Grand Prix and the Prix de la Mise en Scène/Best Director.
This year, 17 films supported by MEDIA have been selected and 5 of them are competing for the prestigious Palme d'Or.
- The story of my wife, by ldikó ENYEDI (Hungary, Germany, France, Italy), supported in development and distribution.
- Bergman Island, by Mia HANSEN-LOVE (France, Belgium, Sweden, Germany), supported in distribution.
- Compartment n.6, by Juho KUOSMANEN (Finland, Estonia, Germany, Russia), supported in development.
- Titane, by Julia DUCOURNAU (France, Belgium), supported in development.
- Tre piani, by Nanni MORETTI (Italy, France), supported in distribution.
Un certain regard
- Onoda, by Arthur HARARI (France, Germany, Belgium, Italy), supported in development.
- Moneyboys, by C.B Yi (Austria, France, Belgium), supported in development.
- Prayers for the stolen, by Tatiana HUEZO (México, Germany), supported under co-production international funds.
- Lamb, by Valdimar JÓHANSSON (Iceland), supported in distribution.
- Un monde, by Laura WANDEL (Belgium), supported in distribution.
Out of competition
- Where is Anne Frank by Ari FOLMAN, supported in development.
- Mothering Sunday, by Eva HUSSON (UK), supported in development.
- Les heroiques, by Maxime ROY (France), supported in development.
Semaine de la Critique
- Libertad, by Clara ROQUET (Spain, Belgium), supported in development and distribution.
- Small body, by Julie LECOUSTRE (France, Slovenia, Italy), supported in development.
- Olga, by Elie GRAPPE (France, Switzerland), supported in development.
Quinzaine des réalisateurs
- Mon Légionnaire by Rachel LANG, supported in development.
Creative Europe MEDIA has invested a total of over EUR 2,1 million in the development and distribution of these films.
Creative Europe MEDIA Events in Cannes 2021
The European Commission will not be physically present in Cannes but will ensure its active participation in several events and discussions by taking part online.