Public Procurement of Innovative solutions (PPI) is used when challenges can be addressed by innovative solutions that are nearly or already in small quantity in the market and don't need new Research & Development (R&D).
Pre-Commercial Procurement (PCP) can be used when there are no near-to-the-market solutions yet and new R&D is needed. PCP can then compare the pros and cons of alternative competing solutions approaches. This will in turn enable to de-risk the most promising innovations step-by-step via solution design, prototyping, development and first product testing.
By developing a forward-looking innovation procurement strategy that uses PCP and PPI in a complementary way, public procurers can drive innovation from the demand side. This enables the public sector to modernize public services faster while creating opportunities for companies in Europe to gain leadership in new markets. Currently however, compared to other parts of the world, PCP and PPI are underutilized in Europe.
For more information on how to square this circle, see the Frequently Asked Questions list on PCP and PPI.
1. Better policy framework
- Overview of EU policy initiatives on PCP and PPI in the context of the European twin digital green transition strategy and the Digital Decade objectives on the digital transformation of public services.
- Benchmarking of national policy frameworks and investments on innovation procurement across Europe.
- Examples of national and regional PCP and PPI initiatives across Europe.
2. EU co-financing
Horizon Europe reinforces the co-financing for public procurers around Europe that address common challenges by undertaking PCPs or PPIs jointly. The Digital Europe Programme also supports the procurement of cutting edge digital solutions. Synergies with the Structural Funds (ESIF) can also be used to co-finance innovation procurements.
3. Networking - Experience sharing - Training
- Innovation procurement events - Meet us and others around Europe active on innovation procurement
- Get free of charge local assistance for you next innovation procurement.
- Join the Procurement Forum and the linkedin group on public procurement and innovation to share your opinion and network with other procurers and stakeholders.