In 2017 the European Commission held a public consultation on the transformation of health and care in the Digital Single Market. The consultation investigated the need for policy measures that will promote digital innovation for better health and care in Europe and feed into a new Policy Communication to be adopted during the first quarter of 2018.
Citizens, patient organisations, health and care professionals, public authorities, researchers, industries, investors and users of digital health tools were invited to respond to the consultation by 12 October 2017. The responses from the public consultation will feed into a new policy Communication to be adopted in the first quarter of 2018.
The consultation collected views on:
- Cross-border access to and management of personal health data;
- A joint European exploitation of resources (digital infrastructure, data capacity), to accelerate research and to advance prevention, treatment and personalised medicine;
- Measures for widespread uptake of digital innovation, supporting citizen feedback and interaction between patients and healthcare providers.
Purpose of the consultation
The Digital Single Market Mid-term review proposes that the Commission adopts a Communication addressing the need and scope for measures on digital health and care, in line with legislation on the protection of personal data, patient rights and electronic identification, focusing in particular on:
- Citizens' secure access to their electronic health records and the possibility to share these across borders.
- Support data infrastructure to advance research, prevent diseases and personalise health and care in key areas.
- Facilitate feedback and interaction between patients and healthcare providers and empower people to take responsibility for the management of their own health.
For more information please consult the Digital Single Market Mid-term review:
- Communication on the Mid-Term Review on the implementation of the Digital Single Market Strategy (COM(2017) 228 final)
- Staff Working Document accompanying the Communication on the Mid-Term Review on the implementation of the Digital Single Market Strategy (SWD(2017) 155 final)
- Eurobarometer 460, Citizens' attitudes towards the impact of digitisation and automation on daily life
Consultation results | 25 April 2018
The results of the public consultation on transformation of Health and Care in the Digital Single Market (20 July - 12 October 2017) are now available.