Summary of broadband development in Portugal
Portugal’s NGA coverage is slightly below EU average, yet the FTTP coverage is more than twice as high (77 % of households) as EU average. The Agenda Portugal Digital was updated in 2021. It aims at development of a digital infrastructure that allows citizens to take advantage of the new opportunities offered by technologies, yet does not set any more concrete aims related to broadband infrastructure.
National broadband strategy and policy
- The Ministry of Infrastructure and Housing (Ministério das Infraestruturas e Habitação) and the Ministry of Economy and Digital Transition (Ministério da Economia e Transição Digital) are responsible for the definition of the broadband policy and the political framework of the national broadband strategy.
- The National Regulatory Authority for Electronic Communications - Autoridade Nacional de Comunicações (ANACOM) has several responsibilities in the field of broadband. Its main targets are the promotion of competition, transparency and further development of communication networks and markets.
Main aims for broadband development
The Agenda Portugal Digital - Portugal’s Action Plan for Digital Transition was updated in 2021. It aims at development of a digital infrastructure that allows citizens to take advantage of the new opportunities offered by technologies, yet does not set any more concrete aims related to broadband infrastructure. The plan comprises three main pillars of action and a catalyst dimension:
- Pillar I – Capacity building and digital inclusion,
- Pillar II – Businesses’ digital transformation,
- Pillar III – Public services’ digitalisation.
Connectivity and infrastructure are mentioned as one of the catalysts.
ANACOM works to create conditions for a consistent and competitive development of 5G and updated the auction schedule in July 2020. The multi-band auction was postponed to 2021. The 5G Portal provides information to the public.
Main measures for broadband development
Broadband mapping: Portugal benefits from a broadband infrastructure mapping initiative Centralized Information System established by ANACOM. The infrastructure-mapping tool contains both information about the existing infrastructure suitable for carrying electronic communications networks as well as the planned ones. The main aim of CIS is to avoid inefficient duplication and inconvenience caused to citizens and businesses by frequent and extensive underground work.
National and regional broadband financial instruments
- State Aid: Large-scale public funding for broadband deployment ended several years ago. Portugal trusts in a market-driven approach ever since.
Data on broadband development and technologies in Portugal
For the latest data on broadband coverage, subscriptions and penetrations, coverage of different broadband technologies and costs check the scoreboard reports and the country reports of the Digital Economy & Society Index (DESI).
Spectrum assignments for wireless broadband
For details on harmonised spectrum assignments consult the European 5G Observatory.
Publications and press documents
- Study on National Broadband Plans in the EU-28
- Guide to High-Speed Broadband Investment
- Broadband Connectivity Reports and Analyses
- Mobile and fixed broadband prices in Europe at the end of 2019
- Study on broadband coverage in Europe 2019