Summary of broadband development in Spain
The Spain Digital 2025 Agenda supports EU connectivity objectives. It aims to extend ultrafast network coverage to the entire population and prepare 100% of the radio spectrum for 5G by 2025. These objectives are operationalized in the Plan for Connectivity and Digital Infrastructures and the Strategy to Promote 5G Technology, respectively.
National broadband strategy and policy
- The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Digital Transformation (Ministerio de Asuntos Económicos y Transformación Digital) is responsible for drafting and coordinating plans, technological programmes and actions to advance connectivity and digital transformation in Spain.
- The National Commission of Markets and Competition (Comisión Nacional de los Mercados y la Competencia) is responsible for regulating all markets and productive sectors of the Spanish economy to ensure free competition and consumer protection.
Main aims for broadband development
The Spain Digital 2025 Agenda outlines ten strategic priorities to advance the country's digital transformation in line with EU Gigabit objectives. Regarding broadband, it aims to guarantee 100 Mbps coverage for the entire population by closing the digital gap between urban and rural areas. Moreover, it seeks to advance 5G deployment by preparing the entire radio spectrum accordingly.
To achieve the broadband objectives incorporated in the Spain Digital 2025 Agenda, the Spanish Government published a new connectivity plan and 5G strategy in December 2020.
The Digital Infrastructures and Connectivity Plan outlines actions to cover 100% of the population with more than 100 Mbps by 2025. It focuses on rural areas that are not covered by the operators’ own deployment plans. Moreover, the plan includes measures to achieve 1 Gbps connectivity in data-intensive industry and research areas.
The Strategy for the promotion of 5G technology complements the national connectivity plan to account for the different level of maturity and transformational impact of 5G compared to, e.g., fibre. The strategy outlines actions to improve spectrum assignment and management, and incentivize 5G deployment and use, including through an updated regulatory and legal framework.
The National Telecommunications and Information Society Observatory (ONTSI) provides public information on the digital transformation to support the assessment and, where necessary, adjustment of the actions developed within the framework of the Spain Digital 2025 Agenda.
National and regional broadband financial instruments
- The national funding programme PEBA-NGA finances the roll-out of next-generation broadband networks in rural and less populated areas since 2013. It is co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF). The programme is designed to reach areas where private investment alone is not sufficient to satisfy the connectivity needs of citizens and businesses.
- Implementation of the Spain Digital 2025 Agenda between 2020 and 2022 is intended to be financed with around EUR 20 billion in public funds, of which approximately EUR 15 billion EUR is intended to come from the various EU programmes and new financing instruments under the Next Generation EU Recovery Plan. This is expected to be complemented by around EUR 50 billion from the private sector.
- The Plan for Connectivity and Digital Infrastructures and the Strategy to Promote 5G Technology are intended to receive EUR 4.3 billion of public funding between 2020 and 2025. They are expected to mobilise private investment of an additional EUR 24 billion within this period.
Data on broadband development and technologies in Spain
For the latest data on broadband coverage, take-up, subscriptions and penetrations, coverage of different broadband technologies and costs, check the scoreboard reports and the country reports of the Digital Economy & Society Index (DESI).
Spectrum assignments for wireless broadband
For details on harmonised spectrum assignments consult the European 5G Observatory.
Publications and press documents
- Spain Digital 2025 Agenda
- Study on National Broadband Plans in the EU-28
- Guide to High-Speed Broadband Investment
- Broadband Connectivity Reports and Analyses
- Mobile and fixed broadband prices in Europe at the end of 2019
- Study on broadband coverage in Europe 2019
- España Digital 2025
- Plan para la Conectividad y las Infraestructuras Digitales de la sociedad, la economía y los territorios
- Estrategia de Impulso de la Tecnología 5G