The Forum includes representatives of online platforms, the advertising industry and advertisers, as well as academics, media and civil society organisations. The Forum is comprised of two sub-groups; a Working Group, and a Sounding Board.
The Code of Practice to be developed by the Multistakeholder Forum should lead to a measurable reduction of online disinformation by addressing the following 5 main areas:
- Ensuring transparency of sponsored content;
- Introducing measures to identify and close fake accounts and to tackle the issue of automatic bots;
- Providing greater clarity about the functioning of algorithms and enabling third-party verification;
- Making it easier for users to discover and access different news sources representing alternative viewpoints;
- Enabling fact-checkers, researchers and public authorities to continuously monitor online disinformation.
The final Code of Practice is expected in September.
Please consult the minutes of the second meeting of the Forum.
Please consult the minutes of the third meeting of the Forum.
Please consult the minutes of the fourth meeting of the Forum.
The draft Code of Practice was delivered on 17 July.
Communication "Tackling online disinformation: a European approach".