As part of the Media and Audiovisual Action Plan adopted to support the recovery and transformation of the media industry, the European Commission is launching a campaign to empower all the European talents, both in front and behind the camera, with a special focus on women.
Under the title ‘CharactHer’ and designed in partnership with Collectif 50/50 in the current context where women are still underrepresented and face persistent imbalances and obstacles along their careers, the Commission’s campaign has the following objectives:
- To raise awareness of the persistence of inequalities in the sectors;
- To spotlight lesser-known positions in the industry to promote diversity through the great variety of potential career paths;
- To encourage young women to pursue careers in domains that are traditionally considered to be “masculine” by showing them that in reality, women can access and succeed in these fields - and dismantle stereotypes and prejudices stating that some jobs are out of their reach due to their gender;
- To highlight the achievements and singularities of different profiles; focus on possibilities and opportunities, rather than impediments.
The final goal is:
- To foster inclusion and representativeness to enable the media industries to remain culturally rich and vibrant, in tune with the diversity of our European societies.
The campaign will be launched on 9 July during a hybrid event in the Festival de Cannes taking place from 16h15 to 17h.
Open to the public on site: Main stage | LERINS | Palais des Festivals in Cannes
Livestreamed online via: page Marché du Film (for accredited participants) and Facebook page of Creative Europe.
The panel of the event will be formed by:
- Věra Jourová - Vice-President of the European Commission for Values and Transparency
- Delphyne Besse - Member of the Board Collectif 50/50
- Hind Bensari - Documentary Filmmaker and Director of the CharactHer videos
- Uèle Lamore – Participant of the campaign representing the audiovisual sector - Conductor and music composer
- Safia Kessas – Participant of the campaign representing the news media sector - Journalist
Moderator: Elsa Keslassy - Journalist, Variety
A few teasers of the videos will be screened during the event.