The Guidance calls for reinforcing the Code of Practice on Disinformation in the following areas to ensure a complete and consistent application across stakeholders and EU countries:
- Larger participation with tailored commitments
- Better demonetising of disinformation
- Ensuring the integrity of services
- Improving the empowerment of users
- Increasing the coverage of fact-checking and providing increased access to data to researchers
- Creating a more robust monitoring framework
The Commission also calls on the signatories of the Code of Practice to develop a Transparancy Centre where they indicate which policies they adopted to implement the Code’s commitments, how they have been enforced, and display all the data and metrics relevant to the Key Performance Indicators. The Guidance also proposes the establishment of a permanent task force chaired by the Commission.
The signatories of the Code of Practice should convene to strengthen the Code in line with the Commission’s guidance and present a first draft in autumn.