When deciding on the appropriate first-mile (also called last-mile) infrastructure for a broadband network, the following questions should be answered:
- What is the existing infrastructure available? Can it be upgraded to reach the Gigabit Society 2025 and Digital Compass 2030 objectives?
- Is the connection to the end-user upgradeable?
- Is the owner of the existing infrastructure interested in collaboration?
- What are the needs of the territory in terms of type and quality of service?
- Does the infrastructure provide affordable services for the local population and businesses?
- How is the sustainability of the infrastructure to be assessed?
- Is there sufficient funding for future-proof infrastructure?
- Are there users in remote or sparsely populated areas?
- What are the plans for the longer-term upgrade of interim-solutions?
For further details and examples please refer to the Broadband Investment Guide.