In addition to EU legislation, the Commission:
- engages with experts from EU countries in the Public Sector Information expert group (PSI Group);
- funds an Open Data incubator assisting small and medium-sized entreprises in building sustainable business ideas on the basis of Open Data;
- funded the Legal Aspects of Public Sector Information (LAPSI) — thematic network of lawyers specialising on PSI re-use, including academics and practitioners;
- commissioned studies on the following issues:
- developed an Open Data Portal for its own documents and a pan-European digital service infrastructure aggregating content of existing open data portals inside the EU;
- contributed to the G8 process on opening up government information, also for re-use, leading to the adoption of a G8 Open Data Charter.