The 2021 Coordinated Plan on Artificial Intelligence, published in April of that year, builds on the collaboration established between the Commission and Member States during the 2018 Coordinated Plan.
It sets out the strategy to:
- accelerate investments in AI technologies to drive resilient economic and social recovery aided by the uptake of new digital solutions;
- act on AI strategies and programmes by fully and timely implementing them to ensure that the EU fully benefits from first-mover adopter advantages;
- align AI policy to remove fragmentation and address global challenges.
It will do so by:
- setting enabling conditions for AI development and uptake in the EU;
- making the EU the place where excellence thrives from the lab to market;
- ensuring that AI works for people and is a force for good in society;
- building strategic leadership in high-impact sectors.
The Coordinated Plan goes hand in hand with the Proposal for a Regulation on Artificial Intelligence.