What is the International Outreach for human-centric Artificial Intelligence initiative?
The European Commission’s Service for Foreign Policy Instruments (FPI) and the Directorate General for Communications Networks, Content and Technology (DG CONNECT), in collaboration with the European External Action Services (EEAS), launched a large foreign policy instrument project to engage with international partners on regulatory and ethical matters and promote the responsible development of trustworthy AI at global level.
The international outreach for human-centric approach artificial intelligence project (InTouchAI.eu) aims to support the European Commission in setting up a framework for ethics and trust to enable the growth of AI. This is in accordance with EU values, and should prepare the ground for global coalition building in this field.
To achieve this goal, the specific objectives of the project are to support the Commission to:
- develop responsible leadership in global discussions around AI;
- create the conditions for the uptake of policies and good practices and standards that ensure an appropriate ethical and legal framework on AI;
- improve public awareness of the challenges and opportunities associated with AI.
Through the mobilisation of strategic communication and technology diplomacy actions, the InTouchAI.eu aims to complement the ongoing international processes. To this end, it will develop joint initiatives with key interested partners and like-minded countries.
The project expects to leverage existing multilateral and bilateral initiatives within the context of international fora, such as the G20 and the G7. In particular, it will contribute to the Commission’s activities as part of the recently established Global Policy AI platform. This platform was launched by key international organisations and relevant institutions active in the promotion of human-centric AI at the global level.
The InTouchAI.eu project will conduct the following activities during its implementation phase:
- Dialogue and joint initiatives with like-minded partners: aimed to support policy dialogue and knowledge exchange activities for targeted stakeholders concerned with human-centric AI and to facilitate convergence of regulatory approaches and foster awareness of EU policy initiatives.
- Public outreach and technology diplomacy: with the goal to conduct policy and public outreach and technology diplomacy communication, enhancing visibility of the EU activities and leadership position to promote the establishment of a global coalition on human-centric AI.
- Research, intelligence gathering, and monitoring of AI developments: to review the progress of AI initiatives globally as well as facilitate knowledge exchange, increase awareness, and promote understanding and acceptance of a common approach to a responsible and trustworthy AI.
Promoting the EU vision on sustainable and trustworthy AI in the world
The European Union expects artificial intelligence (AI) to significantly improve the lives of citizens and bring major benefits to society and the economy. The main vision characterising the EU approach is the creation of human-centric AI,which ensures AI works for people and protects fundamental rights. The EU approach to AI also involves supporting the EU’s technological and industrial capacity and AI uptake across the economy, and preparing for socio-economic changes.
As part of the 2021 EU Coordinated Plan on AI, the European Commission and Member States aim to promote the EU’s vision for sustainable and trustworthy AI in the world. The Commission will engage in international, multilateral and bilateral discussions to build a strong coalition of countries that share a desire for regulatory safeguards and democratic governance of AI.
InTouchAI.eu Project team: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gianluca Misuraca, InTouchAI.eu Team Leader and Key Expert in International Relations and Strategic Communication: email@example.com
Gry Hasselbalch, InTouchAI.eu Key Expert in AI ethics: Gry.Hasselbalch@gfa-group.de