Summary of broadband development in Slovak Republic
National policy for electronic communications by 2020, Slovakia’s National Broadband Strategy and Strategic document for Digital Growth and Next Generation Access Infrastructure 2014-2020 aim at 100% coverage of 30 Mbps high-speed internet and the preparation for meeting the target on subscriptions of above 100 Mbps.
National broadband strategy and policy
- The Ministry of Investments, Regional Development and Informatization (Ministerstvo investícií, regionálneho rozvoja a informatizácie) is responsible for the coordination of activities arising from the Digital Agenda of Europe as a central government body.
- The Ministry of Transport and Construction of the Slovak Republic (Ministerstvo dopravy a výstavby Slovenskej republiky), bears the primary responsibility for the national broadband strategy and the policies. It also acts as Managing Authority for the Operational Programme Integrated Infrastructure 2014-2020.
- The regulatory tasks are performed by the Regulatory Authority for Electronic Communications and Postal Services (Úrad pre reguláciu elektronických komunikácií a poštových služieb).
- The National Agency for Network and Electronic Services (Národná agentúra pre sieťové a elektronické služby, NASES) builds regional broadband networks in areas unattractive for commercial operators.
- Research Institute of Posts and Telecommunications (Výskumný ústav spojov, VUS), is a non-profit R&D centre for electronic communications and postal services in Slovakia. VUS performs project-based activities in selected areas of electronic communications and postal services.
Main aims for broadband development
The basic framework to be considered in the deployment and use of broadband is to meet a target of 100% coverage of 30 Mbps high-speed internet and the preparation for meeting the target concerning subscriptions of high-speed internet above 100 Mbps. The long-term target of ensuring take-up of 50% with speed above 100 Mbps by 2020 was not incorporated, largely on grounds that its accomplishment cannot be guaranteed.
The strategic document Support for the development of 5G networks in Slovakia for the years 2020–2025 sets a vision and goals for the 5G rollout.
Main measures for broadband development
- Regulation measures:
The measures for effective investments in supporting fixed and mobile broadband defined in the strategic document for the Digital Growth and Next Generation Access Infrastructure (2014-2020) prepared by the Ministry of Finance, can be broken down to four areas:
- legislative amendments to simplify the building of networks,
- coordinated construction of the networks in order to mitigate risks and reduce costs,
- regulation of prices and access to completed networks to increase competition in the market and optimise the profitability of realised investment and
- auctions to facilitate innovation in mobile broadband access.
A Memorandum of Cooperation, stating that by the end of 2020 all municipalities in Slovakia should be covered by high-speed internet, was signed by the telecom operators Deputy Prime Minister’s Office for Investments and Informatization of the Slovak Republic.
- State aid measures:
A national broadband project to be implemented by the National Agency for Networking and Electronic Services (NASES) is to contribute with EUR 89.25 million ERDF (OP Integrated Infrastructure, priority axis 7) and EUR 27 million EAFRD (National Rural Development Programme). ERDF funds are planned to support a backhaul and last mile in white areas (municipalities), while EAFRD funds are planned to support community-led local development projects giving more capillarity especially in the rural areas to the backhaul.
Data on broadband development and technologies in the Slovakia
For the latest data on broadband coverage, subscriptions and penetrations, coverage of different broadband technologies and costs check the scoreboard reports and the country reports of the Digital Economy & Society Index (DESI).
Spectrum assignments for wireless broadband
For details on harmonised spectrum assignments consult the European 5G Observatory.
National and EU publications and press documents
- Strategic document for Digital Growth and Next Generation Access Infrastructure 2014-2020
- Study on National Broadband Plans
- Guide to High-Speed Broadband Investment
- Mobile and fixed broadband prices in Europe
- Study on broadband coverage in Europe
- Národná politika pre elektronické komunikácie do roku 2020
- Strategický dokument pre oblasť rastu digitálnych služieb a oblasť infraštruktúry prístupovej siete novej generácie 2014–2020
- Národná stratégia pre širokopásmový prístup v SR
- Podpora rozvoja sietí 5G na Slovensku na roky 2020-2025