Summary of broadband development in Slovak Republic
By 2030, the Slovak national broadband plan foresees coverage of all households with speeds of at least 100 Mbps, upgradable to 1 Gbps, as well as coverage of socio-economic drivers with gigabit connectivity.
National broadband strategy and policy
- The Ministry of Investments, Regional Development and Informatization (Ministerstvo investícií, regionálneho rozvoja a informatizácie) is responsible for digitalisation and the national broadband plan of Slovakia.
- The Ministry of Transport and Construction of the Slovak Republic (Ministerstvo dopravy a výstavby Slovenskej republiky) acts as Managing Authority for the Operational Programme Integrated Infrastructure 2014-2020.
- The regulatory tasks are performed by the Regulatory Authority for Electronic Communications and Postal Services (Úrad pre reguláciu elektronických komunikácií a poštových služieb).
- The National Agency for Network and Electronic Services (Národná agentúra pre sieťové a elektronické služby, NASES) builds regional broadband networks in areas unattractive for commercial operators.
- Research Institute of Posts and Telecommunications (Výskumný ústav spojov, VUS), is a non-profit R&D centre for electronic communications and postal services in Slovakia. VUS performs project-based activities in selected areas of electronic communications and postal services.
Main aims and measures for broadband development
Slovak national broadband plan, approved in March 2021, aims at coverage of all households with speeds of at least 100 Mbps with the possibility of upgrade to 1 Gbps as well as coverage of socio-economic drivers (schools, institutions, offices, transport hubs) with speeds of at least 1 Gbps by 2030. According to the plan, the objectives are best met by support for the construction of passive fibre optic networks.
The investment gap is estimated at EUR 960 million. The costs will be covered mainly from private sources, where necessary also from public sources and the European Funds (RRF and ESIF). The plan envisages support to operators to build the infrastructure where it has not been economically attractive for them so far. This can also be combined with other incentives such as vouchers for households to purchase modern telecommunications services or calls for municipalities to build the necessary infrastructure with state support and then lease it to operators.
The strategic document Support for the development of 5G networks in Slovakia for the years 2020–2025 sets a vision and goals for the 5G rollout.
Data on broadband development and technologies in the Slovakia
For the latest data on broadband coverage, subscriptions and penetrations, coverage of different broadband technologies and costs check the scoreboard reports and the country reports of the Digital Economy & Society Index (DESI).
Spectrum assignments for wireless broadband
For details on harmonised spectrum assignments consult the European 5G Observatory.
National and EU publications and press documents
- Study on National Broadband Plans
- Guide to High-Speed Broadband Investment
- Mobile and fixed broadband prices in Europe
- Study on broadband coverage in Europe
- Národný plán širokopásmového pripojenia, marec 2021
- Stratégia digitálnej transformácie Slovenska 2030
- Podpora rozvoja sietí 5G na Slovensku na roky 2020-2025