In 2021, the MEDIA programme celebrates 30 years of support to European audiovisual content: 30 years helping stories to travel across borders and helping the industry and talents to grow.
What is the MEDIA Programme?
Creative Europe is the EU programme supporting the cultural and creative sectors. The new Creative Europe 2021-2027, with a budget of €2.44 billion, will invest in actions that reinforce cultural diversity and respond to the needs and challenges of the cultural and creative sectors. Its novelties will contribute to the recovery of these sectors, reinforcing their efforts to become more digital, greener, more resilient and more inclusive.
The MEDIA strand focuses on:
- encouraging cooperation both across the value chain and at EU level in order to scale up audio-visual enterprises and European content globally;
- nurturing talents, wherever they come from, and broadening participation and collaboration across countries;
- enhancing global circulation, promotion and distribution of European audiovisual works, taking into account the new digital environment;
- supporting the engagement and development of audiences of all ages, in particular young audiences, across Europe and beyond.
The supporting actions of the new MEDIA programme 2021-2027 are divided in 4 thematic clusters, according to the goals they pursue:
- content: encouraging collaboration and innovation in the creation and production of high-quality works.
- business: promoting business innovation, competitiveness, scalability and talents to strengthen Europe’s industry vis-à-vis global competitors.
- audience: strengthening the accessibility and visibility of works for their potential audiences, through distribution channels and audience development initiatives.
- policy: supporting policy discussion/exchange fora, studies and reports. Promoting awareness-raising activities.
The digital revolution and the COVID-19 crisis have reshaped the audiovisual sector. New issues arose as key challenges, such as the protection of intellectual property, securing access to finance in a rapidly changing sector and ensuring the proper distribution of works.
The objective of Creative Europe is to focus on initiatives that can have a real impact on the sector across Europe. This impact can come either from supporting individual works and initiatives that promote new skills in the sector or initiatives in favour of international cooperation in the sector.
In addition, the programme promotes efforts and best practices that contribute to the achievement of key European Commission priorities such as the Green Deal, inclusiveness and gender balance.
Where can I find out more?
More information on the funding opportunities available under the MEDIA strand is available on the site of the European Education and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA).
You can also contact the Creative Europe Desks in your national country.